Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Gazelle Man

As part of my ongoing attempt to lose weight I have decided to take up running. I went out a couple times the last couple weeks but quickly realized that Adidas Sambas are not running shoes and will only destroy my legs and feet if I attempt to run in them.

Today I took my fat ass over to the Gazelle Sports and got myself a proper pair of running shoes. After trying on about 4 different styles and a couple different sizes I settled on a pair of New Balance 860v3. They were as comfortable as any of the others I tried on. Style wise they were less flashy than most of the others. (Apparently runners really want you to look at their feet.) And the deciding factor was that they are Made in the USA (of imported materials). A fact that I think is exclusive to New Balance in the running shoe industry.

When Id made my decision, my assistant asked what kind of socks I was planning on wearing with the shoes. My response: What do you recommend? After spending more on footwear than Ive ever spent in my life I decided Id better get some good socks to go with them. We headed over to the $16-$20 per pair of sock section of the store and she explained to me all the benefits of these magical foot devices. They were also running a buy 3 get 1 free special on socks. Anyone who knows me knows that I can not say no to specials like that especially when its on items that have features. Socks with features no less. So I spent the second most I have ever spent on a pair of socks. (Second only to the pair of socks I got to keep that came with the tux I rented for the Teso wedding.)

Perhaps the best part of my trip out was the personal attention I got from my sales person. Rather than just grabbing things from the back room and walking away on she asked me questions about what I wanted the shoes for and took time to see how I walked and based her recommendations on those factors. Its things like this that make me comfortable paying a little bit more then I would have at a discount store or on Amazon. Now, to run...

No comments: