Sunday, November 20, 2005

Friday Night I Crashed Your Party

Last night our house was the location of a baby shower. All of my wifes friends came over and played strange games, ate food and opened presents. This blog is not about that night.

Friday, in preparation for the big baby shower, I decided I should probably fix the leaking bathroom sink. After turning off the water, I pop the top off and unscrew the screw that holds the unit together. Unfortunately, like most old sinks, it didnt want to come apart. So I try to loosen it and snap the shit out of the porcelain handle. Great! Well, at least I can get a vice grip on this thing to break it free. I do that and as I suspected the leak was due to a bad seal. A $0.99 part will fix this. Well, it would have before I snapped the handle.

My next objective is to find a replacement handle for this faucet. Not a very obtainable goal. At Ace Hardware the man was very friendly and helpful but could only tell me that it was going to cost, at the very least, $57 for a whole new set of fixtures. Not an investment Im willing to make at this point in the day. On to Godwin Hardware.

I receive an almost identical look from the guy at Godwin as I got at Ace when I asked about a replacement part for this one fixture. He did however hook me up with some killer adhesive. Ill get back to the adhesive in the conclusion. After we find the proper adhesive I address the original problem, my faucet leaks. He gets me my $0.99 rubber part and offers to put it on. Never to proud to let someone else do something for me, I let him. It wasnt as simple as just popping one off and popping the new one on. Because the faucet was in such bad shape it had to be loosened to accommodate for the new part. Now it must be said that the guys at Godwin Pluming are awesome. He spent the next 15 minutes hammering, vicing and PB Blasting this stupid decrepit old fixture just so he could put a $0.99 part on for me. Eventually he got it put together and I was on my way. I decided to pick up 2 of these parts because the hot water side was probably going to start leaking soon anyway. $6.80 later Im on my way home.

To Be Continued...

No comments: