Tuesday, November 01, 2005

You Shook Me So Hard Baby

For the last couple months ago we decide that it would be a good thing to have the cable hooked up in the living room. Weve got the big TV and entertainment center and everything in the basement but what if you need to make some dinner and you dont want to miss a second of the game. St. Marys 7s mom was giving away a TV stand that they werent using anymore so we took it and put our old TV on it in the living room right next to the cable jack. I grabbed some coaxial from the wires box and hook it all up. No signal. I go down to the basement to make sure the cable is working and it is. I check the main line into the house and find that when the cable guy came to run a line over to our computer he also took the liberty of disconnecting all the other wires in the house and put a 2 way splitter where there had previously been a 5 way splitter. No worries right? Just plug one of the loose wires in instead of one of the curent ones to make sure it works and then go get a 3 way splitter from Radio Shack. Wait what? None of the other wires work? Theres no cable down here going to that outlet. HMMM. I let this sit for a little while because I really didnt believe that this was all true and was trouble shooting it all buy myself.

Yesterday The Ugly Kid and I gave this matter a good looking into and came up with the same conclusion. There was in fact no TV going to my TV. I called the Comcast up to see how they felt about this situation. What I was told was that when they came and ran the line to my computer they disconnected all the lines that werent being used. They do this because it improves your signal and you get less interference. Great! Now, why didnt they tell me they were going to do this? Had I known that that was what was going to happen, I would have told them to leave the line going up to the living room because there is a chance that we are going to put a TV there. Rather they just did what they felt was right and now it is going to cost me $20 to have them come back and reverse the problem that they created.

That is not where our story ends though. I told mister customer service expert that I had no intention of paying $20. Im sorry but thats what we charge sir. Then I put it to him this way. If I call an electrician to put a new outlet in my house he doesnt cut power to all the outlets that Im not using just because it will create a more consistent flow of electricity to the ones I am using. He leaves them the way they are and they will work when I plug my lamp into them. That is what your wire boy should have done when he came here. He wasnt called because the signal was too weak. The signal was just fine. All he was supposed to do was add a wire. There was silence for about 2 minutes. He didnt say a word and I was waiting for him to do the right thing. He didnt. Finally I asked to speak with his supervisor. He said that wouldnt be a problem. A couple minutes later he returns and says he talked with the supervisor and THEY agree that I shouldnt have to pay. "Obviously it wasnt properly explained to you." He says to me.

1 comment:

katohater said...

it's so true. like what happened with the cable here. if i hadn't gone out and connected one cable outside, they would have sent someone out and charged to have it connected. it's ridiculous! you did the right thing by calling his bluff.