Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Punch In Punch Out

self.jpgAbout a month ago we were told that we had to perform self assessments. Well the managers finally got around to getting back to us about them with their assessments. The scale is a basic 1-5 with 1 being the worst, 3 being on par and 5 being the best. Well naturally I gave myself almost all 5s and 4s. I know there are some areas that Im not perfect in but theres only a couple that Im only average in also (which I gave myself 3s on). Well when they assessed me they gave me all 3s and 4s. My average was 4.4 while they gave me a 3.5. This upset me as you might imagine because I am much more then a slightly above average employee. So I asked why they rated me so low (but still better then anyone else in the store) and I was told that I have to explain why I feel I deserve 4s and 5s. So we went down the evaluation point by point and I explained that I didnt feel I had anything to improve on where I gave myself a 5 and asked what they felt I wasnt doing. On almost every single one they couldnt come up with anything that I could improve on and then changed the scores to the score I had put. In the end my average score was a 4.3, only .1 lower then how I rated myself.

In the end everything worked out fine. I was reviewed fairly. I just hate that I have to fight for it. When I was a manager I had to conduct the same kind of stupid reviews. And I would put actual thought into them rather then just assume that its impossible to get a perfect score and that everyone is just average. An employee shouldnt have to fight to be recognized. thats part of their job and frankly I wish I were given the opportunity to review them.

2 comments:

katohater said...

i'm sure this will fall on deaf ears, but for a place like where you work, you are just a number. plain and simple. if they gave a shit about you, they probably would put some thought into it. since i started working there, i've only once felt like i was appreciated, and that was when they had this gigantic buffet feast for christmas. that was a good day. i'm not saying i need a feast every day, but all i hear day in and day out are things like "you're too slow" or "you didn't clean every speck of dirt off the shop floor last night." so naturally, i go slower and don't clean anything.

Ikyam said...

Way to fight the man, Dave. Way to fight the man. You almost broke through the glass ceiling that holds white kids like you back from a 4.4 rating.