Thursday, February 22, 2007

New Guy

new_guy-770358.jpgSo they hired another new guy at work. (Just in time to tell us that they dont have enough hours for everyone and theyre going to cut them back.) This guy is college age and seems to have a Boston accent. Hes shaped like a Nagel shaped but slightly more intellegent. Slightly. With the exception of me and old man Steve (old because hes not in his 20s like the rest of us) all the techs have or are going to one of the many mechanics schools in town. The new guy is a Political Science major. He doesnt fit in. Its not his fault entirely. Hes taking full time employees hours, sounds and looks funny, cares about government and wore a bright orange hunting shirt his second day. (It usually takes a week or so to get uniforms in when you first start so youre stuck wearing your own.

Being the good person that I am, I decided to take him under my wing. When I wasnt busy with my own jobs Id help him with the stuff he was doing. And if he wasnt doing anything while I was doing stuff he, as a tech 1, is able to do I would have him do it and tell him how. As a result whenever he had a problem he would come to me first for the solution. I dont really mind, Id rather he ask and do it right then have to fix the car again tomorrow when it comes back because he fucked up. Apparently I was a little harsh on him Monday. I came in Tuesday and a couple of us were talking about him and the other guys thought I was going to kill him. You all know Im very straight forward and to the point. These people havent picked that up yet. Well he called in sick on Wednesday and no call no showed today.  People are saying I scared him off. Oh well, at least my hours wont be cut.

2 comments:

katohater said...

why come you're not going to the mechanics schools?

Stemshul said...

2 Reasons. 1: Time, money and transportation. 2: Im at the point where my experiance is worth almost as much as a degree.

If I decide I want to do more then undercar service (ie engines or transmissions) then it would be benificial to take some classes. As far as work we do at Sears goes, I know enough about all the services we perform to be able to do them.