Thursday, November 15, 2007

Its Not Easy Being Green

lightbulb_cost.pngIm a supporter of the low energy light bulbs. In fact, I support most things that conserve energy. Things like turning off lights in rooms youre not in. Turning the computer off while youre asleep or at work. Only using the AC 9 months out of the year. (You know, the months when it gets over 90 degrees.) Im all for most of the new fuel efficient technologies theyre putting in the cars these days too. I think anyone who does exclusively city driving and spends a significant amount of time in traffic should own a gas electric hybrid.

Why do I support conservation of energy? Its because I aint got no money to be payin all these bills. Sure its a nice side effect that the world and future of man kind benefits, but the green Im going for has a picture of Mr Franklin on it. 2008fordf-250-su.jpgThe next car I buy for myself (Jaime gets the next next new car) is going to be a big old F250 super duty turbo diesel quad cab. But wait Dave, doesnt that thing guzzle gas? I read it only get 7-16 miles per gallon. Thats not good for the world or your wallet. Youre right. It does get lousy gas millage. And that would be a problem if I intended to pay for most of my fuel. But I dont. I intend to get most of it for free, and fat America is going to help provide it. The nice thing about a diesel engine is that it can run on vegetable oil. All you have to do is go to McDonalds and let them know youre going to empty their fryer waste bin, (which they usually pay to have taken away). You then filter the waste fryer grease, mix in some methanol and caustic soda and you have bio diesel for pennies on the dollar. The way is there, all it takes is a will.

Realistically I have no idea if Ill be getting that F250. Im not going to replace the Man Scorpion until Ive put at least 200,000 miles on it (which, at the rate were going will be in 9-10 years) or, God forbid, it gets totaled in an accident or suffers major engine or transmission failure. In 10 years the game could be completly different. Cars could have little fusion reactors that use water as fuel and only produce Hydrogen and Oxygen as byproducts. But if things are remotely similar to how they are today, youll be looking for the ketchup when you smell my french fry scented exhaust as I roll by.

No comments: